The Ford Ranger is a popular midsize pickup truck that has been in production since the 1980s. Like many vehicles, the Ford Ranger has a specific bolt pattern that determines the size and spacing of the lug nuts that attach the wheels to the truck. In this article, we will discuss the basics of the Ford Ranger bolt pattern and what it means for those looking to upgrade their wheels or tires.
- 1 What is Ford Ranger Bolt Pattern?
- 2 Bolt Pattern Explained
- 3 Why Does the Bolt Pattern Matter?
- 4 How to Measure the Bolt Pattern on Your Ford Ranger
- 5 Common Bolt Patterns for the Ford Ranger
- 6 Factors to Consider When Choosing Wheels for Your Ford Ranger
- 7 FAQs
What is Ford Ranger Bolt Pattern?
Before we dive into the specifics of the Ford Ranger bolt pattern, it’s important to understand what a bolt pattern is and why it matters. A bolt pattern refers to the number of bolts on a wheel and the diameter of the circle that passes through the center of each bolt. This circle is known as the bolt circle or bolt pattern circle. Bolt patterns are measured in millimeters or inches and are represented as a set of numbers.
Bolt Pattern Explained
The Ford Ranger has a bolt pattern of 6×139.7, which means that it has 6 lug nuts and a bolt circle diameter of 139.7 millimeters (5.5 inches). This bolt pattern is also known as 6×5.5, as the 139.7 millimeters is equivalent to 5.5 inches. The lug nuts on the Ford Ranger have a 12mm x 1.5 thread size, which is important to note when selecting aftermarket wheels or lug nuts.
The bolt pattern for the Ford Ranger by year:
|Year Range||Bolt Pattern|
Note that this table only includes the most common bolt patterns for each generation. There may be other bolt patterns available depending on the specific trim level and options for each year. Always consult your owner’s manual or a professional mechanic or tire dealer to ensure that you have the correct bolt pattern for your Ford Ranger.
The table per trim level
The Ford Ranger has a bolt pattern of 6×139.7mm or 6×5.5 inches:
|Trim Level||Bolt Pattern|
|XL||6×139.7mm / 6×5.5 inches|
|XLT||6×139.7mm / 6×5.5 inches|
|Lariat||6×139.7mm / 6×5.5 inches|
|Tremor||6×139.7mm / 6×5.5 inches|
|FX2||6×139.7mm / 6×5.5 inches|
|FX4||6×139.7mm / 6×5.5 inches|
Please note that this bolt pattern applies to all wheel sizes available for the 2021 Ford Ranger. It’s always important to verify the bolt pattern before purchasing new wheels to ensure a proper fit.
Why Does the Bolt Pattern Matter?
The bolt pattern of a vehicle is important because it determines what wheels and tires can be installed on the vehicle. If the bolt pattern of the wheels or tires does not match the bolt pattern of the vehicle, they cannot be installed. The Ford Ranger bolt pattern is a common size, which means that there are many aftermarket wheels and tires available for the vehicle.
How to Measure the Bolt Pattern on Your Ford Ranger
Measuring the bolt pattern on your Ford Ranger is relatively straightforward. You’ll need a few tools, including a ruler or tape measure, a straight edge, and a bolt pattern gauge. Here are the steps to follow:
- Remove the wheel from your Ford Ranger.
- Place the straight edge across the center of the wheel hub, making sure it’s level.
- Use the bolt pattern gauge to measure the distance between the centers of two adjacent bolts.
- Write down the measurement in millimeters.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the remaining bolts.
- Determine the bolt pattern by counting the number of bolts and measuring the diameter of the circle they form using the measurements you just took.
Common Bolt Patterns for the Ford Ranger
The bolt pattern for the Ford Ranger can vary depending on the model year and trim level. However, there are a few common bolt patterns that you’re likely to come across. These include:
Factors to Consider When Choosing Wheels for Your Ford Ranger
When choosing wheels for your Ford Ranger, there are several factors to consider beyond the bolt pattern. These include:
- Wheel size: Ensure that the wheel size is compatible with your Ford Ranger’s tire size and suspension.
- Offset: The offset determines how far the wheel sits from the hub, affecting the handling and performance of your truck.
- Load capacity: Make sure the wheels can support the weight of your Ford Ranger.
- Style: Choose a style that suits your personal preference and the look you’re going for.
- Can I use wheels with a different bolt pattern on my Ford Ranger? No, wheels with a different bolt pattern will not fit properly on your Ford Ranger and could cause damage to your vehicle. Always make sure to choose wheels with the correct bolt pattern for your Ford Ranger.
- Can I change the bolt pattern on my Ford Ranger? While it is technically possible to change the bolt pattern on your Ford Ranger, it is not recommended. It involves drilling new holes in the wheel hub, which can weaken the hub and compromise the safety of your vehicle.
- How do I know if a wheel will fit my Ford Ranger? In addition to the bolt pattern, you should also consider the wheel size, offset, and load capacity when choosing wheels for your Ford Ranger. Refer to your owner’s manual or consult a professional to ensure that the wheels you choose are compatible with your vehicle.
- What is the advantage of upgrading my wheels? Upgrading your wheels can improve the performance and appearance of your Ford Ranger. Larger wheels can provide better handling and a more aggressive stance, while different styles can give your truck a unique look.
- What should I do if I’m still unsure about the bolt pattern for my Ford Ranger? If you’re still unsure about the bolt pattern for your Ford Ranger, consult your owner’s manual or contact a professional mechanic or tire dealer. They can help you determine the correct bolt pattern and choose the right wheels for your vehicle.
- Are aftermarket wheels safe for my Ford Ranger? As long as you choose wheels with the correct specifications and load capacity, aftermarket wheels can be just as safe as OEM (original equipment manufacturer) wheels. However, it’s important to do your research and choose a reputable brand with a good track record for safety and quality.
- How often should I replace my Ford Ranger’s wheels? There is no set timeframe for replacing your Ford Ranger’s wheels. It largely depends on the condition of the wheels and how often you drive your vehicle. Inspect your wheels regularly for signs of wear and damage, and replace them if necessary.
- Can I install wheel spacers on my Ford Ranger? While it is technically possible to install wheel spacers on your Ford Ranger, it is not recommended. Wheel spacers can change the handling and stability of your vehicle and can also increase the risk of wheel failure.
- How can I maintain my Ford Ranger’s wheels? Regular maintenance is key to keeping your Ford Ranger’s wheels in good condition. Clean your wheels regularly with a mild soap and water solution, and avoid using abrasive cleaners or tools that can scratch the surface. Check your wheels for signs of damage, such as cracks or bends, and have them repaired or replaced if necessary.
- What should I do if my Ford Ranger’s wheels are damaged? If your Ford Ranger’s wheels are damaged, it’s important to have them inspected and repaired or replaced as soon as possible. Driving on damaged wheels can compromise the safety of your vehicle and increase the risk of a tire blowout or other serious incident. Consult a professional mechanic or tire dealer for guidance on the best course of action.